Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday Walks...back from the DL

Hope everyone had a fantastic Memorial Day.

After spending both Monday and Tuesday on the DL, I'm back and feeling  better today.

As usual, I'll start out with my FOX Baseball HOT Streak pick of the day... Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy to get at least 1 hit.

My weekend picks weren't great, but thanks to Roy Halladay striking out 5 batters on Monday vs. the Nationals I have a streak of one.

I had Jose Reyes yesterday to get 1 hit, but he didn't play, so the pick doesn't count.

There's a LIFE magazine look at the 25 greatest sports streaks. There are four baseball streaks included, although, as a baseball fan, the order may not be accurate. Go check it out and see if you agree.

It's great to see the Arizona Diamondbacks winning again.
It's not that I'm a fan of the reptiles, but I am, of course, a fan of the D-Backs manager, Kirk Gibson.

Gibson manages with the same flair and intensity that he did as a big league ball player.

Gibby won the 1988 N.L. MVP with the Dodgers and two World Series Championships, in 1984 with the Tigers, and in 1988 with the Dodgers.

The D-Backs lead the N.L. West by a 1/2 game entering play today after a miserable start to the season and became the first big league club to gain 7 games in the standings and over take 1st place in a division.
The Seattle Mariners are playing good baseball.

Well, they are pitching well.

The M's are 8-2 in their last 10, and have a winning record at home, 15-13.

As usual, it's Seattle's pitching that has kept the team going.

The Mariners are dead last in hitting in the A.L., with a dismal .231 batting average,  but the team ERA is 3.39, second in the A.L., allowing just 183 earned runs, also second in the league, and the Mariners staff has a league leading WHIP of 1.22.

Seattle is in 2nd place in a very competitive A.L. West, where the last place Oakland A's are only 2 1/2 games behind 1st place Texas Rangers.

The smallest crowd ever in Safeco Field history saw a come from behind win over the Orioles last night on a Justin Smoak  3-run HR in the bottom of the 8th, giving the M's a 3-2 win.

The 15-13 May record for Seattle is the clubs first winning month since last June.

The LA Angels are in 3rd place, just a game back.

Speaking of the Angels, it was nice to read about one of baseball's good guys, Torri Hunter, collecting his 1,000th career RBI

Check out my new poll on baseball's best division...who do you think plays the best baseball?
 I must admit, I am not a huge fan of the World Baseball Classic.

If the USA doesn't do well, heck, i just don't pay that much attention.

World Baseball, Inc., announced today that there will be a new play in round to the 2013 WBC, allowing 12 new countries to compete.

That is a good thing for baseball, the more clubs, the more baseball.

Maybe I'll watch more closely in 2013, and maybe, just maybe, I'll pay closer attention.

In closing I's d just like to take a moment to say "thank you" to all of you who read my blog.

I really do appreciate you taking time away from your day to read about my thought on the great game of baseball.

Until next time, enjoy the games.





















No comments:

Post a Comment